By Zainab Bakare
The Imole Campaign Council has commenced a post-election review of electoral violence recorded in Osun State before, during and after the August 15 governorship election.
The council has directed its structures across the state’s 30 local government areas to document victims, including those killed or injured, as well as individuals and families whose properties were damaged or destroyed.
The review comes two days after Governor Ademola Adeleke was declared winner of the election, polling 511,067 votes to defeat the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who secured 444,815 votes.
In a statement on Monday, the council’s spokesperson, Pelumi Olajengbesi, said the exercise would cover victims irrespective of their political affiliation or voting preference.
He said the council would also document families who lost loved ones and assess cases of property destruction linked to the political tensions surrounding the election.
The council referenced the killing of Accord Party supporter Ajayi Aderogba, popularly known as Rogba, in Esa-Oke in June, an incident for which it had previously called for an independent investigation.
According to the council, the review will not be restricted to Adeleke’s supporters or Accord Party members, despite earlier allegations that some of their members and supporters were killed, injured or detained during the campaign.
It said the exercise is aimed at ensuring that no victim of electoral violence is forgotten because of political affiliation, while providing a comprehensive record of the human and material costs associated with the election.